Mom's Lemon Cake Recipe
Photo courtesy of Sommai /FreeDigitalPhotos.net
· ½ Cup FRESH Lemon Juice (Real Lemon® or Bottled not recommended) Roughly 5 Grocery Store Lemons
· 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
· 1 Small Box Lemon Jell-O® Gelatin
· 1 Duncan Hines® Classic Yellow Cake Mix
· 3/4cup Vegetable Oil (Canola not recommended)
· 3/4cup Water
· 4 eggs
Pre-heat Oven to 350°
Mix Cake Ingredients for about 4 Minutes until well blended.
Grease and Flour a 13” by 9” GLASS dish (Metal not recommended)
Bake for about 1 hour or until a toothpick removes cleanly
While Cake Bakes
Strain Lemon juice to remove pulp and seeds.
Mix Lemon Juice in to Powdered Sugar a little at a time
Once Cake is done
Let Stand 5 to 10 minutes
While slowly pouring glaze over cake, use a meat fork or butter knife to poke holes throughout cake so drizzle can enter cake.
· Avoid using store bought lemon juice such as Real® Lemon. The flavor does not work well.
· Use a GLASS baking dish with the cake. The acid in the lemon will cause a metal taste if baked in aluminum or stainless steel dish.
· Squeeze Lemon in to glass dish for same reason as above.
· Mix Lemon juice into the sugar instead of sugar into the juice for smoother glaze
· Save spent lemons in freezer for cleaning garbage disposal.